Mayan Ruins of Tulum
Experience the ancient Mayan paradise kingdom rising high above the magnificent crystal blue Caribbean Sea.
On this amazing excursion you will:
- In ancient times, the Mayans developed a paradise kingdom that rose high above the magnificent crystal blue Caribbean Sea.
- Three towering walls and a steep cliff protect this ceremonial center.
- This walled city was given the honorary name of Tulum.
- Your adventure begins with a 45-minute ride aboard a fast ferry to Playa del Carmen, where you will board an air-conditioned motor coach.
- Enjoy a narrated and informative one-hour ride to Tulum, with a 30-minute restroom stop along the way at a local Mayan cooperative center where hand crafted souvenirs can be purchased.
- Upon arrival at the ruins, your bilingual guide will escort you on a 45-minute narrated tour of the walled Mayan city of Tulum.
- Visit the famous castle ruins situated on a spectacular 40 ft. bluff overlooking the Caribbean Sea and the Temple of the Frescos known for its detailed carved figures and frescoes, depicting original Mayan paintings and writings.
- You will also see the Temple of the Descending God, the House of Chultun and the House of Columns.
- After your guided tour, you will have approximately 1½ hours of free time to explore the ruins on your own and take photos or enjoy the crystal clear waters and white powder sand beach adjacent to the ruins.
- Relax during the drive back to Playa del Carmen while enjoying a light snack and a soda or bottled water.
- Once you arrive at the pier in Playa del Carmen, you will board your private, fast ferry for the ride back to your ship.
Note: The tour duration includes a 45-minute ferry ride to/from Playa Del Carmen on the mainland; ferry ride may be rough depending on weather conditions. The Mexican government will collect $3.50 (U.S.) from guests wishing to take a video camera into the ruins. No tripods or professional video equipment are permitted. This excursion is not recommended for wheelchair guests or guests with walking difficulties. An optional trolley shuttle from the bus stop to the ruins’ entrance (approximately 1 mile) is available for a fee of $2.00 (U.S.) roundtrip per person. Comfortable clothing and shoes, sunglasses, sunscreen, camera, bathing suit, towel and change of clothes are recommended. A light snack and soda/bottled water are included.
**This is a mainland excursion, and not available on all itineraries. Please check your cruise profile for the shore excursions available on your itinerary